a few of my cookbooks

Monday, February 11, 2013

Potato Soup - The Way to Walter's Heart

One of the first recipes I ever made for Walter was Potato Soup.  I vividly remember being in the kitchen in Phillips Dorm at Sewanee (University of the South) back in the early 90s, excited to try out the new pots and pans I got for Christmas from my parents, and demonstrate my cooking capabilities to my then boyfriend.  Since then, this soup has been one of Walter's favorites, and after several requests over the last few weeks while a bag of potatoes sat in our pantry, I agreed to make this oldie but goodie Saturday night.

Potato Soup Recipe
4 - 5 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
4 Tablespoons butter
8 oz sour cream
2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
2 splashes of Worcester sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Tabasco or hot sauce to taste (optional)
salt and black pepper to taste
Milk - to achieve desired consistency
Bacon and shredded cheddar cheese for garnishing

Cover potatoes and onion with water.  Add salt and cook until extremely soft.  DO NOT pour the water off.  Mash the potatoes until you achieve a smooth consistency (an immersion hand blender works well).  Add remaining ingredients except the bacon and cheese.  Slowly add milk until you achieve the consistency you desire.   Garnish bowls with bacon bits and shredded cheese.

This recipe started much simpler than the above (not that this is complex), and I have added some of the seasonings over time.  I encourage you to play with ingredients to achieve the flavor and consistency you like.  We like our soup a little thicker, so I don't add much milk, and we also like a little kick so the Tabasco is key.  

This comfort dish was a great way to welcome our boys home from their week long backpacking trip to Big Bend.  We heard great stories and shared lots of laughter, as we enjoyed this soup that may have helped me win Walter's heart.  


1 comment: