a few of my cookbooks

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Traditional Banana Bread

Sorry it has been a little while since my last post.  I have been on a bit of a cooking hiatus this week, as my kids are on a school trip all week.  Walter and I have been enjoying dinners out.   I did make some tasty banana bread a couple of days ago, and want to share the recipe with you.

Not sure if your family is like mine, but we always seem to have a few bananas that over ripen before they get eaten.  Perhaps this is on purpose, as I will then use them for banana bread, which is a great treat for breakfast.

I have been making the same recipe for years, and it comes out of a cookbook I inherited from my grandmother whose nickname was Gogo.  The name of the cookbook is Bon Vivant, and it is a compilation of recipes from the women of Trinity Episcopal Church in Longview, Texas.  This is a very special cookbook, as there are handwritten notes throughout in Gogo's handwriting.  It is also a great go-to book when you want traditional recipes.

Banana Bread Recipe  
1 cup sugar
1/2 cups butter
2 cups flour
2 unbeaten eggs
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 4 ripe bananas

Cream butter and sugar together.  In a separate bowl, add unbeaten eggs and bananas and whip them.  Add soda to bananas, then the creamed sugar and butter, the flour and a pinch of salt.  If mixture is too stiff, add several tablespoons of milk.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees in a loaf pan.

Courtesy of Miss Hope O'Donnell and the Bon Vivant cookbook

Walter enjoying a warm piece of banana bread


No comments:

Post a Comment