a few of my cookbooks

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes - Happy Valentine's Day!

I realize I am a day early for Valentine's Day, but wanted to make a special treat for my three special guys and knew I would not have time tomorrow.  For those observing Ash Wednesday today, and especially those that may have given up sweets or chocolate for Lent, I apologize.

This Red Velvet Cupcake recipe is one to share, so if you did give up sweets, file this away for a post-Easter indulgence.  I originally found this in the Barefoot Contessa's cookbook How Easy Is That?  It has been my go-to cupcake recipe for a while now.  This is also a great cookbook, if you don't have it.

Happy Valentine's Day!
What I love about this recipe is that it is just sweet enough.  Some cupcakes and frostings are too sickeningly sweet.  This one you can really taste the chocolaty cocoa powder, but in a subtle way. (Definitely invest in some quality cocoa powder -- not just your standard Hershey's.)  I have had red velvet cakes before where you really can't taste the chocolate.  The frosting is about as bad for you as it gets -- cream cheese and butter and powdered sugar.  Boy oh boy is it good!

Now what is funny is my son Jake's favorite cake is red velvet.  Ironically this is the same child who "hates" chocolate.  I broke it to him last fall that when he is eating red velvet he is actually eating chocolate cake.  He paused, when I told him, and then replied that the red food coloring must change the properties of the chocolate.  My other son Will is a chocoholic and red is his favorite color, so this is a home run with him.  I think Walter is appreciative any time I bake something since for the majority of our marriage the closest I came to baking was picking up a cake at the bakery.  Hopefully these homemade cupcakes will be a way to tell each of my guys that they are special to me everyday.  Have a great Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment