a few of my cookbooks

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings - Just what the doctor ordered

There is nothing more comforting than a steaming bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings.  Jake has been fighting a cold this week, so I thought I might test the theories that chicken soup has medicinal qualities.  This is a great recipe to have on hand for a night you are looking for some serious comfort food, or if you have someone needing some healing.

The recipe I use originally came from my parents and a recipe they had from a Fannie Farmer cookbook.  I have been making this on my own for about 20 years now, and have made some adaptions along the way.

The real key with this dish is to start with a whole chicken and make your own stock.   Don't cut corners by using canned broth or stock.  It just won't be as good - I promise.

RECIPE: Chicken & Dumplings

Stock:
1 fryer chicken
2 stalks of celery
1 coarsely cut onion
2-3 springs each of thyme and rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot or dutch oven, cover the chicken, onion, celery, herbs and spices with cool water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.  Cook for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through.

Once the chicken is cooked, take the chicken out of the stock and let it cool.  Pour the stock through a strainer into a new pot or container.

Soup:
Chicken in bite sized pieces
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper (if needed)

Begin simmering the stock and add all ingredients.  Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Bring soup to a boil.

Dumplings (courtesy of Epicurious):

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 3/4 cups heavy cream

Mix the first five ingredients, then add the cream and mix until just combined.  Spoon the dumplings on the boiling soup.  Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 12 minutes.

This potentially looks more complex than it is. The reality is it is very easy to pull together, and you will absolutely enjoy the outcome.  The dumpling recipe is not healthy, so I sometimes cheat and use heart smart Bisquick (in the white box).  I realize this sounds questionable after going through the trouble of making homemade stock.  However, the recipe on the box makes a fine dumpling.  By no means as good as the above recipe, but there is also no heavy cream involved.

So I am not sure if this healed Jake, but he's back at school and ready for baseball tryouts.  Hopefully it helped a little bit.  


2 comments:

  1. I will vouch for Missy's cooking on this one. One cold winter I think I ate four bowls, and was asking for more. A definite winner, and I hope in my case a repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Missy (sniff sniff). I have a cold (sniff sniff). Please send chicken and dumplings (sniff sniff). Thanks. Jeremy

    ReplyDelete