a few of my cookbooks

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cheeseburger Casserole

If you saw my post regarding eggplant parmesan, then you might recall that my son Will was not so enthusiastic about our adoption of "Meatless Monday".  In an effort to make something for my pickiest eater, I came across a recipe in the new Bobby Dean cookbook, From Mama's Table to Mine for Cheeseburger Casserole.  For those of you that know Will, he could eat a cheeseburger everyday if we allowed him, so I had to make this.

When baked, it looks like chili mac or goulash (yes - flashbacks potentially to your school cafeteria).  However, the taste has some really interesting things going on.  The dijon mustard mixed in and the cold pickles on top really give it a cheeseburger taste.  The other thing great about this recipe, and the cookbook as a whole, is its a healthy dish (under 350 calories).  I used whole wheat rotini, which worked great.

For those that make meals ahead of time, you could absolutely put this together and then put in the oven  the night you are ready to make it.  Definitely give this family friendly meal a try.

Cheeseburger Casserole ready to go in the oven


No comments:

Post a Comment