a few of my cookbooks

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Comfort Food -- Old Fashioned Meatloaf

It has been awhile!   I have been cooking away, but have been less diligent about writing as other things have taken priority.  Hopefully over the next few posts, I can catch you up on what's been cooking in the Hubbell kitchen.

There are times when every family needs a little comfort food.  While I have tried to step out and try new things, the reality is whether due to a certain event or just a tough day at school or work, a little comfort food can go a long way.

Each Sunday I ask the family for suggestions and requests for the coming week.  A few weeks ago, Will asked for meatloaf.   I have made the same meatloaf for years. It is this same recipe that I enjoyed as a child.  I floated the idea of trying a new recipe -- not because our family favorite isn't great, but in the spirit of trying new things.  I received a resounding "no".    This meatloaf recipe is truly comfort food.  I now have to double it to ensure there are leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches.

RECIPE:  Old Fashioned Meatloaf

Ingredients:

2/3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 tsp sage
salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Soak the bread crumbs in milk.  Add meat, eggs, onion, seasonings.  Mix well with your hands, and place in a loaf pan.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Cover the top of the loaf with  the piquant sauce (recipe to follow), and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Piquant Sauce

Combine 3 Tbs brown sugar, 1/4 cups catsup, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1 tsp dry mustard.

It is important to add the sauce toward the end of baking, otherwise the sauce will cook off.  We go old school when serving this, and enjoy mashed potatoes and steamed green beans on the side.   This is also great with some blending of meats (beef, ground pork and/or veal).




1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you back!! Catfish and Okra-- what's not to like?
    Too bad Webb doesn'g go for meat loaf-- I love it, especially
    cold on a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete