a few of my cookbooks

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Blast from the Past - Lime Sherbet Punch

This past Sunday our church celebrated all of the graduating seniors who are about to embark on new adventures at schools across the country.  I volunteered to make a non-alcoholic punch to serve at the reception.  It was then that I had visions back to my college days, and the sherbet punch we would make for either rush or the homecoming tea -- I can't remember.  I guess the punch itself was memorable because it was one of the few punches made and consumed in my days at Sewanee that was non-alcoholic.



Of course, I did not have to search long to find that old fashioned punch online.  Paula Deen has a published recipe for Lime Sherbet Punch on the Food Network website that was one of her mother's recipes.  A real blast from the past.  What caught my eye with this was the beautiful colors of the cut lemons and limes with the bright red of the maraschino cherries.

In the punch bowl, this was really pretty.  I should have cut my limes a little thinner as they seemed to sink to the bottom as the sherbet melted.  Now when I began serving the punch into cups, it had an unnatural greenish tint that was not super inviting.  However, I got some takers, and anyone who tried it, came back for seconds, thirds, fourths....  Most of it was gone by the end of the reception.  It really was tasty and not too sweet.

Unless you are hosting a baby shower or have a church event, you may not need this recipe in your hip pocket, but thought I would share none-the-less.  I have this ear marked in the event I need to whip up a little old fashioned goodness in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment