a few of my cookbooks

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vegetarian Chili Verde - It is Meatless Monday again

Over the last few weeks, we have been trying to have at least one vegetarian dinner per week.  Part of this is for health reasons, but the other is the challenge of finding delicious dishes that are out of the ordinary for our family.

Being a Texan, when I think of chili, I think of red and meaty.  The version I made last night definitely ventures far from this basic definition.  Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis, I found a recipe for Vegetarian Chili Verde.  Chili verde is a great southwestern chili that is oftentimes made with pork.  This one differs in having potatoes (yukon gold and sweet potatoes) and golden hominy.  The hominy is an interesting component that makes this a very filling dish.  Jake compared it to a pasta like consistency.

Not your "normal" chili
This would be a great "make ahead meal" that you could then heat up on a busy evening.  In the text of the recipe Giada notes that it can be made up to 3 days in advance.  My guess is that as the ingredients sit together, the chili is even more flavorful than serving the evening its made.  Add a little cornbread as a side, and you will have a great, stick-to-your ribs, meat free meal.  If you are lucky, there might be enough for lunch the next day.

Feel free to send me any of your favorite meatless dishes.  I'd love to try them!




No comments:

Post a Comment