a few of my cookbooks

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Baked Salmon with Dill

Sometimes the simplest of dishes can be the best tasting.  Tonight we had fresh Atlantic salmon, and in the interest of getting dinner on the table, I went a fairly easy route.  Many of you will read this, and think, I do this all the time or this is not all that interesting.  However, I think its handy to have some things in your hip pocket for the nights you need to get dinner on the table quickly and satisfy a group of hungry folks. 

BAKED SALMON WITH DILL

4 - 6 individual portioned salmon fillets (or one large fillet)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh chopped dill (about 2 tablespoons)
Lime (or lemon) sliced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Brush the salmon (flesh and skin side) with olive oil.  Place fillets on parchment paper on a cookie sheet (or other shallow dish).  Season the fillets by sprinkling kosher salt and ground pepper on each fillet (season to your taste).   Then add dill to each fillet, trying to evenly distribute.  Place one to two slices of lime or lemon on each fillet (depending upon size).  Bake in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes depending upon thickness of your fillets, and desired cooking temperature. 

I served the salmon over couscous with sauteed asparagus on the side.  Couscous is a great side to keep on hand.  (For those that don't make couscous, you can find it on the pasta and grain aisle at the grocery store in a large container -- not one of those mixes.)  I will enhance mine with a variety of different things, depending upon my mood.  Tonight I added a little minced garlic to the water/butter combination you bring to a boil, and once the couscous was stirred in added some Parmesan cheese.  I have also replaced water with chicken stock or broth in the past.  Adding spinach, pine nuts, or other veggies, can also be delicious.

I had dinner on the table in 20 minutes from prep to finish.  Not sure I would have won a Top Chef quick fire, but everyone had seconds.  I'll take that!

No comments:

Post a Comment