a few of my cookbooks

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shrimp, Andouille Sausage and Grits - How could it be bad?

I am a sucker for shrimp and grits.  Anytime I am at a restaurant where this Southern dish is offered, I find it difficult to not order it.  Having had shrimp and grits now at lots of different places, there are some key elements that make for a success:  fresh shrimp that aren't overcooked, a sauce with some kick and creamy grits.

I have been looking for a new shrimp and grits recipe.  In the past I have made Emeril's recipe for BBQ shrimp and grits (recipe), which is great.   However, this recipe requires a greater time commitment than what I have on a typical weekday night.

In thumbing through Hugh Acheson's cookbook, A New Turn in the South, I came across this recipe for Shrimp, Sausage and Grits.  I was intrigued by the use of andouille sausage, and let's face it, how could adding a little pork be a bad thing?

In the recipe, you will see he calls for true hominy grits -- not the Quaker quick grits you might find at the supermarket.  Little did I know finding grits in Dallas would be a quest.  I went to several different specialty markets before finding grits.  Now polenta, which is the Italian's version of grits, is so easy to find.  I almost had to go that route or use quick grits.  Luckily, I finally found a market that sold them.  In the narrative before the recipe, Hugh makes such a deal about the South Carolina farm where he procures his grits, I felt like he might come hunt me down if my grits were not up to snuff.


RECIPE:  Shrimp with Andouille and Hominy Grits

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup hominy grits
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup minced sweet onion
2 celery stalks, minced
1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup tomato juice
1/2 cup clam juice
1 pound (21-25 ct) peeled and de-veined shrimp
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme 
1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a non-reactive 2 qt saucepan, combine 3 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the grits.  Place on high heat and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk.  As soon as the water boils, reduce to a simmer.  Switch to a wooden spoon as the grits thicken.  Cook grits, stirring every 5 minutes or so, for an hour.  Then stir in 2 tablespoons of the butter and set the cooked grits aside.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a 12 inch fry pan over medium heat, and when the butter bubbles and froths add the onion, celery and andouille.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every minute.  Add the garlic, red peppers, tomatoes, Old Bay and red pepper flakes.  Cook for 5 more minutes, then add the tomato juice and clam juice.  Stir well and reduce the liquid for about 2 minutes.

Season the shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and add the shrimp to the pan.  Stir well to combine and cook them for 5 minutes.  The cooked shrimp should be just white, no longer translucent, but not chalky and dry.

Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan and finish with thyme, parsley and lemon juice.

Place about 3/4 of grits on each plate and then spoon a quarter of the stewed shrimp, peppers and tomatoes over each pile of grits.  Serve immediately.


I took one small short cut with this recipe.  Being a little lazy, I bought a can of diced tomatoes (no-salt added) instead of using fresh plum tomatoes.  I strained the tomatoes, and then used the juice from the can as the tomato juice.  In all honesty, it worked fine, and was much simpler than peeling and seeding tomatoes.   

I would definitely recommend this recipe to any other shrimp and grits lovers out there.  I think the addition of the sausage was delicious.  For those who may not love pork the way we do, you could omit, I suppose.  Just know you are missing out.




1 comment: